Gender* in the Archives is a multimedia installation featuring accounts from a handful of alums and current students. This project centers trans voices with the goal of highlighting identity, community, endurance, and joy in an immersive setting. Created in collaboration with the Barnard Archives, with funding support from the Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the materials in this installation were collected and designed by Summer 2022 Archive Fellows Autumn Johnson '25 and Caitlyn Stachura '23. Digital installation support provided by Noa Rui-Piin Weiss and digital projection art by Is Perlman. Special thanks to Martha Tenney, Obden Mondésir, and Che Gossett for their guidance.
Gender* in the Archives features contributions from the following people:
- Grey Berkowitz '21 [oral history]
- Reed Cantrell '25 [oral history]
- Rosie Elliott '24 [interview, dance video]
- Autumn Johnson '25 [interview]
- J Madden '22 [interview]
- Mariame Sissoko '24 [oral history, photographs]
- Caitlyn Stachura '23 [photographs]
- Noa Rui-Piin Weiss '21 [oral history, photographs]
Installation runs from 12-5pm Monday through Friday, 10/3-10/7. Drop-ins are welcome!
On Monday 10/3, from 6-7pm, the space will be reserved for trans and non-binary members of the Barnard and Columbia communities.